What We Believe
Southampton Primitive Baptist Church Articles of Faith
1. We believe that there is but one true and living God and that in the Godhead are three persons, the Father, The Word, or Son, and the Holy Ghost which three are one. 1 John 5:7; Matthew 28:19
2. We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures were given by inspiration of God and we accept them as being the only complete and unerring rule of faith and practice. 2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21.
3. We believe that God is in all respects sovereign, that He doeth according to His will in the Army of Heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth and none can stay His hand or say to Him, "What doest thou?". Daniel 4:35; Isaiah 46:10-11; Psalm 115:3; Ephesians 1:9-11
4. We believe that Adam, though created in the image of his Master, Who pronounced him very good, did of his own volition, willfully transgress the law of God; and, as a consequence, became a fallen and totally depraved creature and all mankind with him. Romans 5:12; Romans 3:9-20; Ephesians 2:1.
5. We believe that Redemption, Regeneration, Sanctification, Justification, and Salvation are by virtue of the birth, life, death, resurrection, and mediation of Jesus Christ, and in no other way; and that all the graces of the spirit are given to the elect church of God. Acts 20:28; John 10:11; Hebrews 10:14; Romans 5:8-10; Ephesians 2:4-10.
6. We believe that all the saints were predestinated unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ, elected to eternal salvation according to the foreknowledge of God the Father; that they will all be called with a holy calling and the righteousness of Christ actually imputed to them by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit, so that none of the heirs of promise can be eternally lost. John 6:37; John 10:27-29; 2 Timothy 1:9; Romans 8:30; Philippians 1:6; June 1; Galatians 4:4-6.
7. We believe that all the elect of God were chosen in Christ Jesus before the foundation of the world, that they should be holy and without blame before Him in love. Romans 8:29; Romans 9:11-13; Ephesians 1:3-6; I Thessalonians 1:4; Acts 13:48.
8. We believe that immersion, upon profession of faith in Christ, in the name of the sacred Trinity, by one duly authorized by the church to administer the ordinances of God in the church, is gospel baptism, and that only; and that only persons so baptized who shall continue to walk circumspectly shall have the right to partake of the Lord’s Supper. Matthew 28:19; Luke 22:19-20; I Corinthians 11:24-25.
9. We believe that as our Lord and Savior washed His disciples' feet, we ought to wash one another's feet. John 13:4-17; I Timothy 5:10.
10. We believe that the Church of Christ is a body corporate, possessing full power to govern herself under the headship of Christ; and having the exclusive right to receive and to discipline her own members, knowing no rule but the Word of God, she is, therefore, independent of other bodies on this earth. Ephesians 1:20-23; Colossians 1:18; II Timothy 3:16-17; Romans 12:4-13; I Corinthians 12:12-27.
11. We believe that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust, and that the happiness of the righteous, and the punishment of the wicked will both be eternal. John 5:28-29; Revelation 20:12-15; Matthew 25:46.
12. We believe that the grace of God that bringeth salvation teaches us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lust, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world; and that it is, therefore, the duty of all church members to be jointly and severally engaged in every good work for the glory of God and the honor of the Christian religion. Titus 2:11-14; Ephesians 2:10; Hebrews 10:24.